Ginger Mint Iced Tea (honey sweetened!): Digestive Aid & Immune Support
Digestive Aid & Immune Support!
If you have healthy appetite for ginger, this is the tea for you!
It’s the perfect accompaniment to a summer barbecue (when we all have a tendency to overindulge) or just as a treat by itself. It will support healthy digestion, your immune system, AND is just plain delicious. And while we are heading into summer, this is a beverage you can enjoy it year-round—during the cooler months of the year, just modify the recipe and enjoy it hot.
Sure it’s delicious, but why should I drink it?
Benefits of Ginger: It stimulates the digestive system, combats nausea, and is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent (source).
Benefits of Peppermint: Studies indicate a relaxation effect on gastrointestinal tissue, as well as antimicrobial and antiviral properties (source).
Benefits of Raw Honey: It is a widely recognized antimicrobial agent and source of prebiotics (source).
Ginger Mint Iced Tea
(this will yield you a concentrated base that can be diluted to your personal liking. See final step for my preferred ratio)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 3-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 packed tablespoons fresh peppermint leaves
- 3 T. raw honey (if you don’t have access to a local source use THIS one)
- Set water to boil.
- Add ginger and continue to heat on medium, covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add mint leaves.
- Steep 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Strain liquid into a bowl and allow to approach room temperature (a little hot is fine, but it shouldn’t hurt your skin if you insert a finger into the liquid. This ensures you keep all of the beneficial enzymes present in raw honey).
- Add honey, mix well.
- Once the tea base is room temperature, transfer to a mason jar and chill—remember this is the BASE!
- Add water (I prefer a 1:1 ratio and add 2 cups of water and ice to my tea—meaning the above recipe will yield a TOTAL of 4 cups).
- Adjust water ratio/honey to taste.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs at no extra cost to you. This helps support the cost of recipe testing. Thank you for your support!****