Bacon Tortilla Chips–Just 3 ingredients!
As a traditional foodie mom, convenience foods that aren’t toxic are: 1) hard to come by OR 2) VERY expensive!
Chips are a favorite for my 4-year-old, but it’s difficult to find brands where I live that AREN’T made with highly processed, oxidized canola or soybean oil. Just because it’s “organic” or “gluten-free” doesn’t make processed foods good for you! However, there are a few brands out there committed to making high-quality chips, but the price makes them a rare purchase in my house.
So the only thing left to do was make my own! I’d tried before with coconut and olive oils and I wasn’t pleased with the flavor. Just before Christmas, I was making a Breakfast Lip Balm using pastured bacon fat and decided to give bacon chips a try…
The result was an amazing SUCCESS!!! I’ve made 3 batches in 24 hours and I have to stop myself from making more!
Bacon Tortilla Chips
- 3 T. pastured bacon fat (I buy my sugar-free pork bacon HERE, and reserve the fat)
- 6 organic corn tortillas (I get THIS brand, and I like the mini-sized ones)
- 1 t. unrefined salt (like THIS one)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 T. of bacon fat in the butter melter. Set aside.
- Stack the tortillas in groups of 6. Cut into triangles (cut tortillas in half, cut the halves in half, then cut quarter slices in half)
- Pour half of the bacon fat over the chips.
- Using your hands, or silicone tipped tongs (the stainless steel ones will break pieces), mix the chips/bacon fat until all pieces are coated on both side.
- Spread chips in a single layer
- Sprinkle 1/2 t. of salt over the chips
- Cook for 16-18 minutes
This recipe can be doubled, or quadrupled, but I find cooking the chips from 6 tortillas at a time fills a single layer of the pan nicely These are great as a snack dipped into kefir, with my Love Your Body Chili, or as a crunchy topping for salad.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs at no extra cost to you. This helps support the cost of recipe testing. Thank you for your support!****