Carrot Mint Soup (Gluten-free, Paleo-option)
Last month, at 6-months pregnant and despite the 90-degree weather in my hometown, my body DEMANDED soup. Looking in the refrigerator yielded the ingredients that would make this wonderfully easy and delicious soup. Since developing the recipe, my family has enjoyed it weekly. I hope your family will, too! Best of all, most of the ingredients are inexpensive and will be available at least half of the year—very important if you are into eating locally/seasonally and on a budget.Use organic/sustainable ingredients as much as you can—it will positively affect the flavor and your health <3
- 1-1/2 lbs. carrots
- 1 large sweet apple, 4 oz. once peeled and chopped (I use Gala)
- 2 small onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 stick of butter
- *1 c. homemade chicken broth
- 1 c. water
- 1/4 packed c. fresh mint, chopped
- 1/8 c. heavy cream or whole-fat coconut milk (like this one)
- unrefined salt (like this one)
*In a pinch, I’ve used just water and adjusted the salt
- On medium heat, add butter to a large saute pan.
- Once melted (don’t let it brown!), add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Increase heat to med-high and add carrots. Saute for another 5 minutes, tossing the mixture well.
- Add apple, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Turn heat up slightly and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a stockpot and add broth and water.
- Bring pot to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 12 minutes.
- Remove lid and add mint; stir in well. Continue to cook on low for another 8 minutes.
- Test one of your largest pieces of carrot for softness.
- Remove pot from the stove and with a blender or with an immersion blender, puree your soup.
- Stir in cream or coconut milk.
- Taste, and adjust salt, and add pepper, if necessary.
If you want a creamier soup, I add water, butter, and cream in equal parts until it’s reached the thickness I want. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
Disclaimer: This blog participates affiliate advertising programs. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to conduct recipe development, provide giveaways, and pay for the upkeep of this blog. Thank you for your support!