Scalloped Potatoes (gluten & dairy-free)
I have fond memories of eating mounds and mounds of scalloped potatoes as a kid. Unfortunately, they were from Betty Crocker’s kitchen and laden with MSG, additives, and fake-food items no one should be eating!
I was feeling adventurous one day and I happened to have a ton of potatoes on hand. Perhaps I was inspired by the recent special gift of holy basil (or as I call it, “purple” basil!) from a friend’s garden. Whatever the reason, I decided to wing it! I knew the basics: potatoes, herbs, salt, cheese and voilà! The only problem was, I wanted to try a dairy-free recipe. I have no problem with raw milk, but since dairy can wreak havoc on the digestive systems of many of my fellow foodies, I wanted to see if I could create a yummy dairy-free version. Thus, coconut scalloped potatoes were born.
2 lbs. organic yukon gold potatoes
2 organic medium onions (I like to use a combination of red and yellow for color)
1-1/2 c. whole fat coconut milk
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 heaping tablespoons of *holy basil (a.k.a. purple basil) (OR 1 tsp. minced fresh mint, 1/2 tsp. marjoram, and 1/2 tsp. of basil)
1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat (an EMPTY) oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and slice the potatoes & onions into 1/4″ discs.
- Grease the bottom of a casserole dish with pastured bacon fat, lard, or coconut oil.
- Starting with potatoes, place alternating layers of potatoes and onions until you reach within 1/2″ of the top of the casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, mix the coconut milk, basil, and spices well.
- Pour mixture over potato/onions.
- Place dish in oven and cook covered for 40 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook 20 more minutes.
- Move dish to top rack and broil for an additional 5 minutes or until a nice browning has been achieved.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Add salt to taste, if necessary.
I like to serve these potatoes with pastured ground beef, tacos, or eggs, but often eat them by themselves when I am craving some comfort food!