Pumpkin Pancakes: The Real Deal (grain-free, refined sugar-free)
Pumpkin…I LOVE it! Luckily, it’s fall and the perfect time to share a delectable dish I’ve been trying to perfect for WEEKS: pumpkin pancakes!
The main problem I’ve run into with gluten-free pumpkin pancakes is that they are either: 1) laden with toxic ingredients I do NOT want my family eating (packaged variety) or 2) they come out more like pumpkin crepes because of the emphasis on eggs over flour.
The final batch was born out of a complete fluke. I had just returned from the farmer’s market, exhausted but happy. The groceries were put away and I was beat! But when a 3-year-old turns his puppy dog eyes on you and asks for pumpkin pancakes, what’s a foodie mom to do? And just so you don’t think I’m THAT much of a martyr, I had been meaning to try just one more time to make the pancake I knew was eluding me!
It was a fall miracle! I was able to fix the problem (in my opinion) by adding coconut flour, giving some OOMPH to my pumpkin spice mix, and forgoing a “dairy-free” recipe and including raw milk. The result? A pancake I am proud to call my own. I hope your family enjoys these–I know mine did!
Inspired by Balanced Bites recipe
makes (10) 4″ pancakes
3/4 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. organic cinnamon
1 1/2 t. *pumpkin pie spice mix
scant 1/4 c. organic coconut flour (sources)
organic coconut oil (sources) (optional)
pastured butter (I use Kerrygold or you can look for raw butter here) (optional)
4 pastured or organic eggs
1/2 c. raw milk (+ extra to get desired thinness of batter)
1.5 t. organic vanilla extract (sources)
1 c. organic pumpkin puree (sources)
1/4 c. organic grade B maple syrup (sources)
Hardware (from affiliate partners):
Disclaimer: Links provided are from affiliate partners. If you purchase through the link on my page, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only support and promote products I own (or in the case of food, consume myself!) or have researched and would love to own. The small amount earned goes to support the operation of the blog and recipe testing.
- Heat cast iron on low-medium heat. Add coconut oil and allow to melt.
- Put wet ingredients in a large glass bowl and mix well with a hand mixer, until ingredients are well blended.
- Sift in dry ingredients and mix again. If necessary, add milk to thin out batter.
- Use a silicone cup to pour about 1/4 cup of batter into skillet and to flatten out batter (if you try this with the spatula it will just stick to the metal).
- **Allow to cook, checking occasionally, and look for bubbles that begin to appear before turning over
- Store in a glass serving dish in an oven heated to WARM.
- Serve with one or more of the following: grass-fed butter, organic grade B maple syrup, and/or pastured bacon (source).
DISCLAIMER: This dish has the capacity to be smokey! Have your windows cracked/open and the oven fan on; the GOOD news: Your house will smell delicious ALL DAY LONG!
** TROUBLESHOOTING: Depending on the type of stove/pan you have, the pancake make begin to burn/blacken slightly. If this happens, flip subsequent pancakes carefully before fully cooked, allow second side to cook and flip back to original side to finish the cooking process.